<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Uh oh...... 


Today, I got an explanation of benefits from my medical insurance company for my December trip to the Mayo Clinic. There are a couple of items that they aren't covering at all. There aren't any details as to what these items are or why they aren't paying for them.

I had been under the impression that once I reached the yearly maximum, I wouldn't be charged anything above that. But between the excluded items and the stuff I had to do in January instead of December (the deductible resets at the first of the year), I'm gonna owe approximately $4000 more than I was expecting! It's also $4000 more than I have in savings.

I am going to call my medical insurance company first thing on Monday and find out what they are up to. And then I am going to call the Mayo Clinic and see if they have a financial couselor I can talk to. I have never in my life before been in a position of not being able to pay a medical bill, and I don't know what to do.

I am on disability, but because Dan works, we are too "rich" for most assistance. What do lower middle class people do when they get medical bills in excess of 25 percent of their annual income? Suck it up and take out a loan??

Poor Dan is very freaked out about this. He's afraid we'll lose the house. I don't think the situation is that dire, but I do believe that we might not get out from under this debt for years, especially since my LTD benefits have been cut off and I still have ongoing medical expenses to consider.

I am a financially responsible person who wants to do the right thing. But I'm stumped.

Comments:
I'm so sorry. So so sorry.

I'm thinking of you both, until I can come up with something better to say, something better to suggest...
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?