<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 21, 2008

DAMMIT! Basement flooded AGAIN! 

I seem to be turning into a whiner. Or maybe it's just that I'm experiencing a series of unfortunate events. Either way, I need to vent again.

The first basement flood was in April and led to the discovery of mold, cracks in the foundation and sagging of the foundation. The south wall of the basement was anchored and a secondary drainage system installed July 7. Still waiting to get the drywall, insulation and built-ins replaced in that area.

On Saturday, we had a massive downpour - I think two inches of rain in less than two hours? It was raining so hard we couldn't see past the end of our own yard. It also hailed a bit.

When the rain was starting to let up, I took my lunch downstairs so I could watch something I had recorded and noticed nothing amiss. After maybe 15 minutes, I realized I had left my drink upstairs and went to fetch it. I got to the bottom of the staircase and SPLASH! my socks were completely soaked!

The part of the basement that had been completely fine, the northeast portion, had flooded. There was water running across the storage room and the bathroom, and the puddle at the bottom of the stairs was spreading and heading for the area where I had stashed all my scrapbook supplies during the first flood. So I began hauling things upstairs while my husband started mopping up the mess.

Apparently, the gutters on the house were insufficient to hold the volume of rain. Also, the windows leaked. In addition, I have a sneaking suspicion that there are more cracks in the foundation that we missed, but of course I can't tell because they are covered with drywall and insulation.

Problem is, we absolutely cannot afford any more repairs right now other than what we had already committed to. We had to borrow the money for the foundation repair, and it won't be paid off for about a year and a half. So we will just have to sit tight and hope it doesn't rain this hard again.

We used a shop vac on the carpeted area immediately in the hope that we can salvage it and it won't mildew. We ran box fans aimed at the floor as soon as we had removed as much water as possible. It is finally dry now.

Naturally, the business of moving stuff around and vacuuming up water gave me mega massive muscle spasms in my back, the kind that take your breath away and make you cry and you can't do a doggone thing about them. I took Baclofen that night, something I usually avoid because it upsets my stomach and makes me act drunk and gives me a hangover when it wears off. But it was either that or sit around and cry.

So I missed church yesterday due to Baclofen hangover. I did go to aquacise today, but my back still hurts pretty badly. Stupid annoying fibromyalgia.

I just hope I get a tax refund next year because I'll need every penny to get that basement as leak-free as possible.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?