<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mystery bill.... 

This falls under the heading of: "don't you hate it when...." because I'm sure this happens to many of us. Seems like all my outgoing mail at times is medical bill payments. So many of them that it's tough to keep them all straight.

In May, I get a bill from a company I've never heard of. The weird part is, the date of service is August 2007! There's no explanation of services rendered, just a balance due and an indication that it was run through my insurance.

Well, I'm not about to pay a bill from a mystery company. So I call the 800 number listed for "billing questions". Apparently, it's some sort of clearinghouse that represents numerous medical offices.

I go through the automated system after entering my account number. I have an option to request a detailed description of services rendered, so I choose that. And then I wait to see what the heck I'm being billed for.

As of July, I've heard nothing from them. Since the original date of service is nearly a year old, I decide I don't want to risk being taken to collection for non-payment (this has happened to me in the past with companies that NEVER actually billed me) and call the 800 number again and this time ask to talk to a person. The person I reached does not have direct access to a description of services rendered, but she says she can arrange to have one sent to me.

Today, I get another bill. It is identical to the one in May: just a date of service and how much I owe. No hint of what this company actually did that merits me sending them money.

I guess the next step is calling my insurance company? Seems so stupid that I should have to do that.

Just thought I'd share because I know many of you can relate.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?