<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 11, 2008

Surprises, jackhammers and sledgehammers (of fatigue)..... 

My brain is squarely in Zombieland, which is the land beyond Fibro-fog, so I don't know how complete or coherent this entry will be. In fact, I'm not even sure where to start because I can't remember where I left off. Something like, once upon a time, there was an exhausted domestic goddess....

Let's see.... I got a copy in the mail of a letter dated July 3 from the rheumatologist I had seen at the Mayo Clinic addressed to the office of the rheumatologist he had referred me to. He used all the appropriate doctor-y words to describe what was going on with me AND sent copies of the test results and consultation notes. Lo and behold, on Monday, the Sioux Falls office calls me to set up an appointment for September when they previously told me the earliest opening was in November!

Also on Monday, I had been told to expect the foundation guys mid to late morning, so I had Dan set the alarm for 8am. No sooner have I shut off the alarm, sprung out of bed and started to get dressed when the doorbell rang! Nothing like answering the door and giving a stranger a tour of the basement while disoriented from having been asleep 30 seconds earlier.

These guys wasted no time in getting to work, and soon the soothing sounds of jackhammers filled the house, and dust filled the air (although I admit the dust this time wasn't as bad as when the brick wall was being demolished). Four anchors were placed inside the southern wall of the basement, and holes in the yard were dug eight feet out into the yard, and the anchors in the house and in the yard were attached by non-corrosive poles. Also a drainage trench was placed along the basement wall starting five feet from the southwest corner, all along the west edge of the back room, under the wall to the laundry room and all the way to the sump pump.

Would you believe all this was accomplished by 2pm? The only bummer was when I found out that the anchors are going to have to be tightened in small increments every few weeks for the next two months, so the earliest I'm going to be able to get the basement put back together is September! I did at least talk to the carpenter about getting that damned wood-burning stove out of the basement, and he did get the dumpster removed from our driveway.

ALSO on Monday, Dan's cousin that I thought would be coming by on Tuesday or Wednesday called to say they'd already arrived in Sioux Falls! Luckily, Dan's parents had graciously volunteered to have them over there along with Dan's sister and her family that evening. Only problem was, Dan's car needed repair again, and he'd taken mine to work, leaving me with no way to get over to his parents' house as Monday is the night he works late.

So I had to ask Dan's parents to drive across town and pick me up. Dan went there after his shift ended, so at least I had a ride home. I guess it was a good thing I wasn't driving anyway as I was feeling awfully flaky already from the long day.

Dan's cousin was nice, as was her husband, 15 year old daughter and 2 year old daughter. Things got pretty lively when my 4 year old niece and 1 year old nephew arrived. They had plenty of toys and things at Dan's parents house (they babysit their grandkids a lot), so it was much better for them than if they'd just been hanging around my living room listening to boring adults talk.

Unfortunately, a room full of multiple conversations really wears me out, and a room full of that plus energetic kids hastens the exhaustion even more, so I think we called it a night before Dan had wanted to. I barely remember getting home and making my usual eggs. When Dan went to bed around 10:30, I told him goodnight, promptly zonked out on the couch, and the next thing I knew, it was 1:30am.

Took my obligatory night meds, skipped the toothbrushing thing and crawled into bed. Woke up at 7:30 because Dan wanted me to take him to work after he put his car in the shop, but he found out they were too busy to fit him in that day, so I zonked back out again and finally dragged my ass out of bed for the day at 11:30. After my 10 minute stint on the Gazelle machine, I fell asleep AGAIN on the couch for another two and a half hours, and somewhere in between the copious bouts of sleeping, a friend called and said he, his wife and a niece would be visiting on Thursday.

On Wednesday, I got up at 7:30 again to take Dan to work. I had missed a week and a half of aquacise and knew if I went back to bed, I'd miss again, so I stayed up and watered the lawn while it was somewhat cool. By the time I went to aquacise, I was already getting end of day flaky even though it was only noon.

Tried to read the paper after lunch, but every time I did, I would doze off. Was expecting Dan to call to tell me whether or not his car was ready, but he never did, so when I woke up at ten minutes before his shift ended, I rushed out the door to pick him up. Was I pissed when he never showed because he'd already gotten the car!

There was other stuff, but I can't do anymore tonight.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?