<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 08, 2008

Desperation breeds medication..... 


Update on my last health-related post: that migraine I described lasted a total of SIX DAYS! Certainly not the first time that has happened, but it was enough to make me decide to go to my primary care doc. Besides, I am due for a Continuing Disability Review by Social Security, and I haven't have a doctor documented my condition since January, which could cause Social Security to discontinue benefits if not remedied.

So on Tuesday, off to the doc I went. I dragged my feet about it because I've tried damned near everything for pain and/or fatigue without success, and I hate wasting a doctor's time. But I came in anyway with a full typewritten page describing the extent of my current symptoms because if a doctor doesn't put somewhere in my medical records that I'm still sick, Social Security will wrongly assume I must be all better now, even if the reason I skip the doctor is because they can't do anything more for me.

It was difficult not to cry in front of the doc. Not because I'm depressed, but because unbearable pain and fatigue levels tend to make even a person who's normally cheerful collapse. Thank God she attributed my emotional state to the proper cause and didn't tell me that what I really needed was a shrink (been there, done that).

I made sure she knew that I really am trying very hard to get better, that I am doing some form of exercise six days a week even if it is very mild by most people's standards. And that I get out of bed every single day if it is physically possible. And that I still do things I enjoy even when I can't leave the house.

Surprisingly, she had a suggestion for the fatigue: Ritalin. I tried Provigil a few years ago without success, but she said this one might work differently for me. Knowing how I am the side effect queen, she wrote me a prescription for a dose one would normally give a five-year-old.

Also, she gave me a sample of a brand new anti-inflammatory patch, one that's not supposed to be as irritating to the skin as most patches (I'm allergic to most adhesives). It contains Diclofenac, a med I took several years ago but developed a tolerance to. She thought that maybe enough time had passed that the med might work again, and this would be a higher dose than before.

I have mixed feelings about trying new meds. On one hand, I'm excited there is a possibility that I might get some relief, maybe even enough relief to function better. On the other, I have been disappointed a myriad of times before, and I am on sooooo many meds already.

I will take the cautious route as always, trying the meds separately so that if I develop side effects, I will know which med is the culprit. I'm gonna try the anti-inflammatory patches this weekend (I always try a new med on the weekend so if it doesn't make me feel so good I won't miss any aquacise classes), and I'll give the Ritalin a shot the following weekend.

And as always, I will read up on the meds before I start on them. I find RX List to be most helpful for that. I'm already aware that Ritalin has potential for abuse, but I don't have a tendency toward addiction.

Wish me luck?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?