<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, October 31, 2008

Chip D. Dog is fading.... 


About three weeks ago, Dan took Chip to the vet for his annual vaccinations. The vet on duty was the one who does the surgeries and was the one who first told us that the growths on Chip's head could interfere with his health. Dan asked him how much time Chip might have left given how fast the lumps have been growing.

The vet said that even if we could afford surgery to remove the growths, the prognosis would not be good given Chip's age and the fact that he has other medical problems. Dan then asked when we would know when it was time to have Chip put to sleep. The vet replied that if Chip stopped eating, that would be a pretty good clue.

Last week, Dan and I both noticed separately that Chip seemed to be thinner than usual. We got him groomed on Saturday, and we were shocked to discover once his thick fur was shaved down a bit, you could see his backbone and even a hint of his ribs. But oddly enough, on Sunday, he suddenly got his appetite back, and I relaxed a bit.

Then on Monday, when I woke up, I noticed Chip was oddly quiet even though I had slept past the time for his medication. I gave him one of his pills, a chewable, and it just fell out of his mouth, and he couldn't seem to find it. I had to pick it up and hold it for him until he could smell it and then eat it.

When I let him out into the back yard, I saw him lurch alarmingly. He spent his usual amount of time outside and did his usual sniffing around, but he staggered when he walked. And he seemed completely oblivious to the squirrels just feet from him.

I began to suspect that Chip had had a small stroke, but he was eating and seemed to come around later that afternoon, so I decided to forgo calling the vet as there was probably little that could be done. I kept an eye on him, though, mindful of any signs he might be declining to the point where keeping him going would be more cruel than kind. Dan and I gave him plenty of attention, and he seemed content considering.

Then yesterday, when Dan came home from work and came into the bedroom where Chip and I were, Chip got up to greet him and fell down. He hit the trash can and smashed into the wall. He could only get up with help from me, but once he was up, he seemed to improve.

But today, when Dan was home on his lunch break and let Chip out into the yard, the poor dog fell again, and Dan had to help him up. And not only did he refuse to eat his regular food, he was slow to eat the treats he usually loves, and I couldn't get him interested in drinking any water. And once when I was petting him, he seemed to not even know I was there.

So it is now obvious that Chip is no longer able to much enjoy his life, not if he is collapsing in his own yard. I think it may be time to make that final call to the vet.
I just hope Chip is ok with it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?