<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, October 03, 2008

Thoughts on the VP debate.... 

I admit I watched this only out of morbid curiosity. I needed to see for myself whether Palin would babble nonsense and whether Biden would put his foot in his mouth. I was quite surprised that neither happened.

After watching the "Nightline" interview and snippets of the Katie Couric laugh fest, I had low expectations of Palin. She actually did much better tonight. Not enough to convince me in a million years to vote for McCain, but less of a fiasco than predicted.

She did annoy me, though. If you're a former journalist, you should know that Iran is not pronounced "eye-RAN" and that nuclear is never "NUKE-u-ler". She tried wayyy too hard to be homey, to be someone the American public can relate to, and it came off as cutesy. She said that if you want a barometer for American opinion on the economy, go to a kid's soccer game. She tried hard to present herself as a proper go-to person on foreign policy, but she said Iran's president is insane, and I think it would be dangerous for our nation to allow her to have any sort of diplomatic role abroad. And while she was praising herself for being a parent, she seemed to forget that Biden was one too.

My main concern about Biden is that he tends to speak first and think later. But I don't think he said anything tonight that would prove embarrassing to Democrats. And even though he has way more applicable experience than Palin, I was relieved that he wasn't condescending to her.

Bottom line? In the unlikely event that anything would happen to Obama or McCain while in office, I'd feel much more comfortable with Biden stepping in for Obama than Palin stepping in for McCain. But I really hope we never have to find out.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?