<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, February 02, 2009

Explaining my absence.... 

I know, I know. I haven't done a REAL post in a ridiculously long time. But I have an actual excuse for not blogging the past several days.

As I probably mentioned somewhere, I had a particularly nasty annual post-holiday flare. Last Monday, my six-day migraine was finally letting up, and I thought I'd be returning to what passes as normal for me. But then on Tuesday, the migraine was suddenly back, and it was cranked up to 11.

When the nausea kicked in during the afternoon, I attributed it to the migraine and thought nothing of it. But the vomiting just wouldn't stop. And when the diarrhea kicked in and wouldn't stop either, I knew something else entirely was going on.

By Wednesday morning, I was already dehydrated and feared that if I didn't get to my primary care doc and put a stop to this, I'd end up in the ER. So poor Dan had to take an unpaid day off from work and drive me because I could barely even stand up. Found out at the doc's office that I had a fever of 101F.

The doc sent me to the hospital to get IV anti-nausea meds and fluids. Spent a couple of hours doing that. Still felt like death warmed over, but at least I wasn't going to faint anymore, and I was eager to get home and rest.

But the hospital had mistaken my personal wheelchair for one of their own and had sent it to the reception area with all the others. This was despite the fact that my chair had my name on the side of it! By the time I realized what they had done, my chair had disappeared, probably used to transport another patient, and was lost somewhere amongst the half dozen buildings that make up the hospital.

So I had to use one of the hospital's wheelchairs to get me to the car and hope like hell they found mine eventually. They said they'd call as soon as they located it. Well, of course I've heard nothing since.

Did eventually get home, and after Dan made three trips to the pharmacy, he brought me the powdered aspartame-free Jello I'd requested. It's an old trick I learned from childhood: dissolve the powder in a cup of boiling water and then drink it while it's still warm. For some reason, it soothes my stomach when I can't keep any other food down.

But I continued to have trouble and had to resort further anti-nausea meds and Imodium. They worked, but my insides were in horrible pain for the rest of that day and well into the next. And I was incredibly weak.

Since then, I have tried my best to recover, but it has been extremely slow going. My stomach is still problematic and requires at least a partially liquid diet. I don't think I'm going to be over this for a few more days yet.

Oh, and Dan got the same virus on Thursday night. He missed another day of work on Friday. But he's already much more recovered than I.

And now I'm too wiped out to add anything more. Maybe later.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?