<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, October 02, 2009

Another outrageous insurance company story..... 

This story came to my attention via the Celiac.com newsletter. The new health care plan should eliminate this kind of scam forever....

Celiac Disease "Pre-Existing", Firm Cancels Health Insurance for Girl, 17

What burns me up, besides the obvious fact that there should be no pre-existing condition exclusions, is the implication that the parents were knowingly defrauding the insurance company PRIOR to the diagnosis. The parents couldn't possibly have known their daughter had celiac disease if she was not being seen by a gastroenterologist at the time they applied for the policy. If the insurance company were not challenged on their denial, that would open the gateway to denying coverage to ANYONE who ever had a stomach-ache and was later diagnosed as celiac.

Probably the only reason I still am allowed to have private health insurance is that I get it through my husband's employer and he has never had a lapse in coverage. But I am eligible for Medicare Part B if I am dropped by my current plan, which makes me far more fortunate than most. If the pre-existing coverage exclusions are not eliminated, people like the girl in the article may have to go the rest of their lives without proper health care.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?