<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, January 21, 2010

How sedentary is too sedentary? 

It seems that if lack of exercise isn't bad enough, too much sitting still, even if you exercise regularly, can do you serious harm as well. Courtesy of a Facebook friend....

Prolonged Sitting Endangers Health

I agree with the article that people with chronic ailments that limit their ability to be active should do the best they can. I do water therapy three days a week and a non-impact glider for 15 minutes three other days a week, yet I can't walk more than one to two city blocks without rest. One thing I do is get up periodically, like after I finish paging through a section of the newspaper, I get off the couch and put the section on the kitchen table before starting the next section. I also do stretches while watching TV or reading.

One thing I wonder about, though: is anyone taking into account the diet of those who are sedentary? Because there is a big difference between someone who works out but still eats junk and someone who is sedentary due to illness but eats healthy foods in controlled portions. I am far more sedentary than a healthy person because I am partially housebound, but I am not obese and have a healthy heart, blood pressure and cholesterol due to my vigilance about proper diet. P.S. I made a New Year's resolution to eliminate all desserts (except crustless pumpkin pie and dark chocolate) to see if I can get rid of the 10 pounds I gained after my thyroid medication was changed, and so far, I've kept it the resolution.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?