<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The depths of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis..... 

Got this from the Hummingbird's Guide to M.E. newsletter. You think this ailment isn't serious? It was for this woman.....

Lynn Gilderdale's moving account of why she decided to end her life

One of the most frustrating aspects of this and similar illnesses is that it is mistakenly believed to be caused by depression, rather than the other way around. It is the not being taken seriously, the unrelenting agony, the isolation, the dependence on others for basic needs, etc. that wears one down and creates the deep hopelessness. It is truly heartbreaking that some are never able to escape the eternal sadness.

I perhaps don't mention enough how truly lucky I am to be for the most part depression-free. This is not to say I don't understand where Ms. Gilderdale was coming from; in fact, some would be shocked just how dark my world gets sometimes. But I am not nearly as severely affected as she, and I got to marry and be happy prior to becoming ill; perhaps that is what enabled me to make peace with my ailments and to be so willing to carry on despite them.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?