<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ensuring proper nutrition and health on a gluten-free diet.... 

Going gluten-free can cause unwelcome nutritional deficiencies and other health problems. This article from Celiac.com gives tips on what adjustments to make.

Side Effects of a Gluten-Free Diet and How to Manage Them

The proliferation of processed gluten free foods is a double-edged sword. The convenience is a plus, especially to people like me who don't have the energy to cook, but like anything processed, they are nutritionally inferior. Due to my gastroparesis, I can't live off of raw foods, so I try to at least eat pasta, frozen foods, cereal and crackers made from whole grains like brown rice and buckwheat (which is not related to wheat at all despite the name). I take nutritional supplements to try to make up for the inadequate amount of fresh fruits and veggies in my diet. And I have eliminated all desserts except for homemade crustless pumpkin pie and one small square of extra dark chocolate per day.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?