<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Refusing to face the facts of celiac disease.... 

Another from Celiac.com's newsletter. This is an EXCELLENT article on why we don't want to get tested, and once diagnosed, why we don't want to believe it:

Dealing with Denial by Danna Korn

I will now admit that I fit the profile described in #1. In 2002, a friend with celiac disease suggested to me several times that I get tested. I refused because I was was OVERweight, not underweight (being overweight can mean your body is not processing nutrients and thinks you're starving so it holds on to every pound), and I figured that I just had the usual irritable bowel syndrome that goes along with fibromyalgia. Then in 2003, I got VERY sick on a trip to South Dakota in April and again on a trip to Canada in August. What did they have in common? I was in situations where a lot of sandwiches and desserts like cake were served. When I spent three straight days in agony because I'd had about five servings of gluten in a 24 hour period, the light bulb went on. I went completely gluten free a few months later and when my "irritable bowel syndrome" symptoms completely disappeared in January 2004, I knew I'd done the right thing and have never regretted it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?