<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, October 08, 2010

Survived the biopsy.... 

It was at 10:30 this morning. They did an ultrasound first to pinpoint the location, but couldn't find the borders of the suspicious area in question, so it took awhile to decide how many samples to get. The doc settled upon taking three.

This one hurt quite a bit more than the last one. Yes, they numbed the area, but fibromyalgia likes to give bonus pain outside the area being worked on. I kept my eyes closed through the whole thing and tried to focus on my breathing.

They used a numbing agent that did not contain epinephrine, so I was spared the adrenaline reaction that looks deceptively like a panic attack. They have a new adhesive tape for people with sensitive skin; we'll see how well I tolerated it when I remove the bandages Saturday. After the procedure, I was kinda shaky, so I got wheelchair service back to my car.

I am following the after care instructions to the letter, which basically involves ice packs every two hours. I had Dan pick up anything that weighed as much or more than a gallon of milk tonight. I will skip aquacise tomorrow and will wait to shower and take my anti-inflammatories until Saturday.

Meanwhile, my fibromyalgia has decided to visit Intense Flareville. My entire torso feels pummeled even though they only did a semi-small procedure. I will have to take heavy duty muscle relaxants if I am going to be able to get any sleep tonight and put up with the post-medication hangover tomorrow.

I will probably get the pathology report on Monday. I am debating whether to go to aquacise as usual on Monday because I will really need to work the soreness out of my muscles, or just stay home and wait for the call. I will definitely wait until at least Tuesday of next week to return to the Gazelle machine because I usually do Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday; Saturday of this week will be too soon.

Am thinking about writing an article about breast biopsy procedures. This is, after all, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and there should be more to the awareness than just telling women to get mammograms. They also need to know what to do and what to expect if their mammogram shows a potential problem.

But for now, owwwwwwww.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?