<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, November 13, 2010

I want to pet a puppy! 

A little over a week ago, I had an interesting dream. In it, I was someplace where a puppy was for sale. It was an adorable liver and white English springer spaniel, female, with the sweetest fuzzy face you ever saw. I was in love! I was petting her soft fur, scratching behind her ears, giving her a tummy rub, and she appeared to think I was wonderful too. But an important-looking man came up and announced, "She would be perfect for my Manhattan apartment". He wanted the pup for a show dog, and he was prepared to pay far more than I could ever afford. Off he went with MY puppy, and I just sat on the floor, heartbroken.

Chip D. Dog has been gone for two years, but it wasn't until I had that dream that I knew for sure that I was emotionally ready for another pup. But that dream also reflected to me the sad reality that I am probably not the best choice for a new dog. For one thing, I am no longer able to walk or train a dog, which would be unfair as they need more exercise than just hanging out in the back yard. Secondly, since my disability insurance company has permanently discontinued my benefits, we no longer have room in our budget for vet bills, dog food and toys. And most importantly, Dan is still too upset over the loss of Chip to handle another pup.

So I guess I will just have to continue to dream about dogs. I wish there was a service where someone brought a dog to your house to pet and play with for a little while, like they do in hospitals and nursing homes. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about getting yanked around on a leash or feel guilty for not socializing the dog. Getting an occasional canine hug would be sooooo therapeutic and would go a long way toward soothing this empty hole in my heart. And maybe the dog would enjoy it too.

Comments:
It took a long time after Luther T. Dog died before I was ready even to think about another dog, and I hesitate for the same reasons that you do. So I totally understand! I'm still wavering, but one of my neighbors did volunteer to take dog-walking duties—she's recovering from cancer and wants a reason to get OUT and get moving but doesn't want the responsibility of owning a dog. Is there someone in your pool therapy group or at your church or in your neighborhood who might be willing to share the duties with you? Sometimes people are ready to commit to walks, but not to being home to let the dog out or keep it company or make sure a puppy doesn't chew on favorite shoes... My neighbor, at any rate, was also willing to split vet bills. (OMG—it's just like health issues. EVERYONE has a suggestion for what you ought to do... Just throwing the idea out—feel free to ignore it!)
 
I may consider it if/when Dan decides he's ready for another pup. Until then, maybe I should think about making friends with someone who has a pettable pup and set up the occasional play date.
 
Yes, there's always a way. You can't own one but you can absolutely touch or hug one whenever circumstances would allow it. It may be a friend's dog, or a relative's dog.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?