<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Is going gluten-free wrong if you DON'T have celiac disease? 

From the latest issue of the Celiac.com newsletter. A doctor's reply to a story suggesting that those without confirmed celiac disease avoid gluten-free diets:

Ron Hoggan's Response to "Dieters Warned on Going Gluten-free" Article

I think some people fear that a gluten free diet will exclude needed nutrients. It doesn't have to. Natural fruits, veggies, unadorned meats and soy, all of these are allowed and are good for you. As for gluten-free whole grains, you have brown rice, corn, buckwheat, teff, amaranth, flax seed, quinoa, etc. Once a week, I cook something for Dan and I both to eat, and the lack of gluten hasn't harmed my husband in the least.

By the way, I was one of those obese people who voluntarily went gluten free. In just a year, I lost 40 pounds, with no other changes than abstaining from wheat, rye, barley and oats. That was nine years ago, and I have been in a reasonably health weight range ever since.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?