<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Mixed feelings about the mission accomplished.... 

I went online tonight with the intention of blogging about the end of the 10-year manhunt for bin Laden. But this article, posted on Facebook by my friend Valerie, sums up my sentiments pretty well:

Celebrating Osama bin Laden's Death Is Anti-American and Not Very Biblical

I too am relieved the man is dead. But the news doesn't excite me the way it has others. I cannot bring myself to be excited about another human being's death, even when it is deserved and may stop thousands more from losing their lives. Killing someone is grim business.

When I saw the footage of Americans dancing in the street on Monday as if their team had won the Super Bowl, I was nauseated because it looked eerily similar to the celebrations that occurred in the Middle East after 9/11. And I fear it may stoke the anger of those who want to do more harm to Americans. I know we need to acknowledge that the worst terrorist in the world has been vanquished, but could we please show a little decorum? I would like to think we are not barbarians.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?