<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Those times when you feel less than charitable.... 

This comes from my friend Jen via FibroTV. This would apply to pretty much any type of chronic illness:

Do I have the right to be unkind because I am sick?

I am certainly no angel. In fact, I have an impressively bad temper. Dan could tell many tales of my tantrums and use of very loud profanity. I must admit these incidents are more likely to occur during flares.

But I make every attempt not to take out my illness in innocent bystanders. I am careful not to yell directly at Dan unless he has done something to deserve it. Even then, I try to express myself succinctly and then go back to being nice or at least neutral.

Being unpleasant does not improve one's health, and it certainly doesn't get you anywhere good with people. It may sound silly to smile at others when you feel horrible, but to a small extent, I find I can tolerate them a bit more that way. This is not the same as letting others mistreat you - I will never stand for that. This is about not letting your illness ruin your relationships.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?