<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sculpture Safari, a "12 word" poem.... 

Here's a fun exercise from my college days: have someone give you 12 random words. Write a poem of 12 lines, with each line containing one of your assigned words, in the order you were given them. For an added challenge, spend no more than one minute writing each line. So it's 12 words into 12 lines in 12 minutes. Give it a try. It's both easier and more difficult than it sounds.

My friend, Pete, for nostalgia's sake gave me the following 12 words last night: cold, dog, thistle, silver, ceiling, cup, towel, taste, just, pillow, trash, stare. This is my result:


Sculpture Safari

The cold crept in like an afterthought,
Leaving us forlorn for dog days.
The wind stung as would a thistle under bare feet.
But the silver clouds could not eclipse the enticement of other metallic shapes,
Framing a thoughtful ceiling instead.
Although I had to cup my hands for warmth,
No towel was tossed.
I could taste the creative spark
Just by proximity.
When my pillow called me home,
My energy crumpled like so much trash,
But not before one last satisfying stare.

- 9/17/11

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?