<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 18, 2012

Primer on hypothyroidism.... 

 Got this from a fibromyalgia Facebook page. It occurs to me that I haven't posted very much on thyroid function, so here is a good place to start for info:

Hypothyroidism Symptoms

I first found out my thyroid function was low in 2001. But the parameters of the TSH test were quite wide then, so a reading of 5 was considered only borderline even though I felt as though I could literally drop dead from exhaustion. My eyebrows were also falling out, which is a classic symptom (oddly, one not mentioned in the Mayo Clinic article). My doctor insisted I was fine and refused to treat me, so I had to find someone using the newer recommendations that the TSH be under 2. I went on the synthetic thyroid medication, but didn't feel any better despite the improvement in the test results, and the newer doctor wouldn't let me try anything else, so the search for doctors was on again. Finally, in 2003, I found a physician that would prescribe Armour thyroid, which is natural pig thyroid hormone. That did the trick, and I've been on that ever since (except for a brief period where you couldn't get it in the United States).

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?