<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

How to keep on keepin' on.... 

 Found this on a fibromyalgia Facebook page. Worth pondering no matter what your state of health:

How to Become More Emotionally Resilient

I already use most of these in my everyday life. Most were borne of instinct and fine-tuned with years of experience. It was about 10 years ago that I figured out that I was never going to survive the remaining years of my life with multiple physical ailments unless I got a handle on not aggravating them with excessive emotional distress. This is not to say I never get overwhelmed; I think everyone does from time to time. But I usually vent in writing to sort out my feelings and purge the worst of the negative emotions, and then once that's accomplished, I decide what I'm going to DO about it. Sometimes "doing" something is not physical; it could mean coming up with an appropriate mental action or even just deciding to learn whatever lesson the stress might have taught.

The two steps I don't completely fulfill are the optimism and the exercise. Not a true optimist, I am better at hoping for the best while preparing for the worst. As for exercise, I have expanded greatly my definition of that since my tolerance for it is so limited. For me, stretching counts as exercise, as does preparing a meal, emptying the dishwasher, doing a load of laundry, walking to the mailbox and back, etc. But you get the general idea.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?