<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, May 31, 2013

A Letter to Patients With Chronic Disease 

Even though this was written three years ago, it is currently making its way around the web. Found it today on a fibromyalgia Facebook page:

A Letter to Patients With Chronic Disease

I will readily admit it is extremely difficult for me to not come across as hostile whenever I see a new doctor. I have received so much belligerence from doctors in the past that I come in expecting it, and since so many of them don't really listen, I start defending myself before they cut me off. I am generally a friendly person, but whenever a doctor acts like he doesn't believe what I have to say, I freak out.

I am puzzled by how many of them assume I want to be either cured or treated like a child. I have been sick for 16 years - I know better. I just want to manage my many ailments the best I can, and most importantly, I want the doctor to LISTEN. I come in quite prepared with a summary of what has happened health-wise since my last appointment, what I want to happen at the current appointment, and what I have tried so far. The good doctors appreciate my efforts, and the bad ones dismiss me as either a hypochondriac or a know-it-all or both.

One thing I will say is that respect runs both ways. If a doctor treats me like an intelligent person who wants to participate in any reasonable treatment prescribed, I'll treat them like a professional rather than a bully.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?